Today we had our first Coding Club meeting at Dunbar Primary. I was a little leary of coding with kindergarteners, first and second graders (yikes!), but it couldn’t have gone better! Here are ten great things about coding club:
- Code.org has all of the information that you need to get started.
- You can set up your classroom in advance and print student login cards.
- Start out the first session with a snack and the uplugged activity.
- Kids learn great vocabulary words like algorithm.
- Young children can log in with a secret word or with a picture password.
- Have several teachers/mentors available for the first session. We had a 6 to 1 student to mentor ratio.
- Students immediately began making connections between the process and the outcomes.
- Kids can work at their own pace or collaborate with each other to problem-solve.
- They can work on any computers or devices.
- They can’t wait until next week for the next coding club!
- (Bonus!) Parents were impressed and excited.